- Build multiple Widgets to learn how they work
- Get data from network calls, Core Data and your app
- Learn Configurations and Intents
- Lock Screen Complications
- Live Activities & Dynamic Island
- Free updates
Course Overview Video
Learn the basics
Get introduced to the basic fundamentals of how Widgets work. You'll learn about Timelines, Reload Policies, Entries, Snapshots and Widget Families.
We build a Widget to keep an eye on our favorite GitHub repos. We get the data via a network call, build multiple Widget sizes, and learn about Widget Bundles.
Widget w/ Core Data
Swift Calendar is a Widget to track which days we have practiced Swift. In this Widget we learn how to communicate between Core Data and our Widget.
- 3 Variations of Repo Watcher (1:42)
- The "Why" of a Widget (4:56)
- Medium Widget UI (9:36)
- Create Repository Object (13:43)
- Days Since Last Activity Calculation (7:28)
- Get Repo Network Call (18:40)
- Get Repo Owner Avatar Network Call (10:28)
- Large Widget - 2 Repo - UI & Model Update (17:15)
- Large Widget - 2 Repo - Network Call & Refactor (11:49)
- Contributors - Widget Bundle Setup (16:11)
- Contributors - UI (10:01)
- Contributors - Model (9:22)
- Contributors - Putting it All Together - Network Call (16:33)
- What are Configurations? (1:55)
- Monthly Widget - Intent Definitions File (6:20)
- Monthly Widget - Working Configuration (12:56)
- Repo Watcher - Creating List of Repos in App (13:51)
- Repo Watcher - We Have A Problem - Configurations & Family Sizes (16:32)
- Repo Watcher - Dynamic Options Intent (17:32)
- Repo Watcher - Dynamic Options Intent - Part 2 (10:12)
Frequently Asked Questions
What will I learn in this course?
This course is designed to give you the foundation and skills to build any Widget idea you can come up with.
What skill level is required for this course?
This is an intermediate course. Because I focus on the concepts of Widgets, I don't spend time explaining the basics of SwiftUI and Swift. If you are just learning Swift & SwiftUI, it is recommended you take iOS Dev Launchpad and SwiftUI Fundamentals first.
Do you offer a student discount?
I offer a 30% student discount. However, there's no way to automate that at the moment. If you are a student, email me at seanallen.dev at gmail dot com showing me that you are a student and I'll issue you a discount code.
Will this course be updated for iOS 17, Xcode 15 and beyond?
How long do I have access to the course videos?
You have access to this course for as long as it exists. It will exist as long as it's reasonable to keep up to date, which I imagine will be a few years.
What if I don't find the course valuable?
Within 30 days of purchase there is a 100% money back guarantee. No questions asked. I'm proud of my courses and stand by my work. If you don't get value from it, I'm happy to give a full refund.